Universal Health Insurance is consistent w/ the Constitution
We the People of the United States, in Order to...
1) form a more perfect Union,
2) establish Justice,
3) insure domestic Tranquility,
4) provide for the common defense,
5) promote the general Welfare, and
6) secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity,
...do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
What strikes me is just how progressive the Preamble is. Five of the six actions in the Constitution are traditonal liberal values. "Provide for the common defence" is the only traditional conservative value, however, few liberals oppose military actions that are defensive.
I'm not a Constitutional scholar but it's clear to me that it would be very consistent with the Constitution and the Framers' original vision for America to have universal health insurance.